"This company goes above and beyond for their customers."
Kevin R. of St. Charles, IL
Porsche Engine Rebuild M96 / M97
Rennology Motor Sport specializes in the enhancement, repair and rebuild of Porsche engines. From a simple refresh of components, to the enlargement and hardening of water-cooled engines for competition, we offer the most complete Porsche engine rebuild service in the Midwest.
First, you’ll find us easy to do business with. Choosing to rebuild your engine is a big step and we go out of our way to ensure you have all of your questions answered and understand the consequences of decisions or recommendations during the process. We keep you informed of the progress and work with you at every step to ensure you have a complete understanding of the detail from individual components to budget. Every engine and every customer is different – so we respect your particular needs and do are utmost to comply.
Even well maintained, low mileage engines can have significant component failures. In fact, it can be that an older, lower mileage engine will have a failure as opposed to higher mileage engine.
There are no hard and fast rules, but if it does happen, there are many options available to repair an engine, rather than replace it.
We use the LN Engineering Nickies sleeving process, to overcome the d-chunk, slipped-sleeve, cylinder scoring issues associated with Porsche engines in 986, 996 and later 987, 997 models.
"Forget the rest, Rennology has better pricing, service, and is
conveniently located in the Chicago metro area."
John G of Naperville, IL
Rebuilding Your Porsche Engine
There is no “one size fits all” rebuild. We have an extensive consultation process and a series of managed steps that ensure you are well informed from the initial discussion to the final results and through the break-in period. We also offer a selection of products to help you optimize performance gains from your Porsche engine rebuild and service recommendations for the long term.
What’s likely to be included?
- Initial consultation and discussion regarding failure, objectives and options
- Extraction from the vehicle, disassembly and examination
- Initial recommendations and estimate for final cost
- Cylinder heads are closely examined, reconditioned, or replaced if necessary. Each head is analyzed and depending upon your objectives, components are replaced while the surfaces are diamond milled to exceed the original manufacturer specifications.
- Crankshafts are examined to ensure specifications are met. Replacement original bearings are matched to the crank and the assembly is balanced for rotation with the flywheel. Repairs to the crankshaft are not an option.
- All Internal Gaskets and Seals
- Enlarged Capacity Nickies™ Cylinder Sleeves
- LN Engineering IMS Fix
- Custom Sized Pistons and Rings
- Hydraulic Valve Lifters
- New Bolts – Cam Sprocket, Connecting Rod, Crankcase, Cam Cover, etc.
- Upgraded Head Studs
- Main and Rod Bearings
- Camshaft Solenoids
- Oil Cooler
- Air Oil Separator
- Spark Plugs & Upgraded Coils
- Low Temp Thermostat
- Timing Chains, Tensioners & Guide Rails
- Valve Springs and Guides
- Water Pump
- Re-assembly, installation into vehicle and initial drive testing
Scored, D-Chunk or Slipped Sleeve Porsche Engine Failure
Commonly, as seen above, Porsche engines can experience failures from a slipped sleeve, cylinder scoring or when a d-chunk is blown out of a cylinder wall. Rennology Motor Sport works in partnership with LN Engineering to fix these problems by using Nickies.
LN Engineering’s Nickies are made of advanced aluminum alloy that is up to 66% stronger than the original cast in Lokasil bores or MMC sleeves from the factory. The alloy coating improves the thermal conductivity (unlike steel sleeves), reduces wear and friction, and allows for larger bores with more power. There is no loss of strength or longevity and the solid aluminum Nickies come with a lifetime warranty on cylinder plating.
Porsche Engine Rebuilds Include:
- M96.01 3.4 Liter 99 Carrera, Carrera 4
- M96.02 3.4 Liter 99 Carrera, Carrera 4
- M96.03 3.6 Liter 02-05 Carrera (996), 02-04 Carrera 4, 02-05 Carrera 4S
- M96.04 3.4 Liter 00-01 Carrera, Carrera 4
- M96.05 3.6 Liter 05-08 Carrera (997), 06-08 Carrera 4, 07-08 Targa 4
- M96.20 2.5 Liter 97-99 Boxster
- M96.21 3.2 Liter 00-02 Boxster S
- M96.22 2.7 Liter 00-02 Boxster
- M96.23 2.7 Liter 03-04 Boxster
- M96.24 3.2 Liter 03-04 Boxster S, 04 Boxster S Special Edition
- M96.25 2.7 Liter 05-06 Boxster
- M96.26 3.2 Liter 05-06 Boxster S
- M97.01 3.8 Liter 05-08 Carrera S, 06-08 Carrera 4S, 07-08 Targa 4S
- M97.20 2.7 Liter 07-08 Boxster, 08 Boxster Limited Edition, 07-08 Cayman
- M97.21 3.4 Liter 07-08 Boxster S, 08 Boxster S Limited Edition, 06-08 Cayman S
Optimizing Your Porsche Engine Rebuild
To get the most from your investment, we recommend enhancing the rebuild with some performance parts. These are not only internal parts such as camshafts, connecting rods, coatings etc. but also external products such as performance ECU tunes, throttle bodies, plenums and exhaust systems.
Call us today to discuss your goals 708 687 5258
We can create the engine you desire within your budget and timescale. We can remove your broken engine from your car, rebuild it, and re-install an updated and higher performance version to match your goals. We are easy to work with and you’ll find us responsive to your needs and price competitive.
Whether you looking to simply repair a broken engine or add power for street or track, we can build you an engine that exactly matches your goals. We’ll discuss all of the options with you and make sure you have a thorough understanding of the choices that affect the budget you need. Then we’ll build the exact engine that will perform faultlessly for the street or the track. We also offer matched upgrades to exhaust, ecu and drivetrain that will ensure your build is optimized to perform perfectly.
Note: Some images are provided under copyright courtesy of LN Engineering
"Rennology did a terrific job of rebuilding our Porsche. Blown engine was rebuilt and re-installed within budget! Fantastic."
David L. of Oak Lawn, IL